How much should I expect to pay for Basaglar?

Prescription drug prices can be confusing. Two people may pay different amounts for the same drug, depending on their insurance situation.

The list price1 of a 5-pack of 3 mL Basaglar KwikPens (15 mL or 15,000 units) is $326.36, but the amount you pay will largely depend on your prescription drug insurance plan. Insulin needs vary significantly from person to person, some take only 5 units per meal while others take over 100 units per meal. Given this variability, providing a relevant average cost for a month’s supply of Basaglar is difficult. The information below will give you a good idea of what to expect based on your insurance and support that may be available to you.

For the most accurate information, talk to your insurance provider who knows the details of your plan.

Which Option Below Best Describes Your Insurance Situation?

About 85% of Basaglar prescriptions cost between $0 and $30 per month, with the remaining 15% costing an average of $104 per month.2

What you pay for Basaglar will depend on your insurance plan. Each plan has different preferred drug lists and out-of-pocket amounts, and most include an annual deductible. If you haven’t met your deductible, you’ll see higher prices and could pay full retail price until you meet your deductible.

For personalized assistance on the most affordable options for you, please call the Lilly Diabetes Solution Center at 1-833-808-1234, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time.

For most patients with Medicare Part D coverage, out-of-pocket costs can vary throughout the year depending on which phase of the Part D benefit you are currently in. About 86% of Basaglar prescriptions cost between $0 and $100 per month, with the remaining 14% costing an average of $155 per month.2

Some Medicare patients qualify for extra financial support through the Extra Help3 program. If you are eligible for Extra Help, you can expect to pay $3 to $9 for each prescription.4

If you are unsure whether you qualify for Extra Help and would like more information, please visit: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/prescriptionhelp/.

For personalized assistance on the most affordable options for you, please call the Lilly Diabetes Solution Center at 1-833-808-1234, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time.

For most people on Medicaid, out-of-pocket costs for prescription drugs like Basaglar range from $4 to $9 per month.5 Some states allow even lower copays or eliminate the copay requirement altogether.

To find out if you qualify for Medicaid, or for more information about copayments in your state, please visit: https://www.medicaid.gov/state-overviews/index.html.

For personalized assistance on the most affordable options for you, please call the Lilly Diabetes Solution Center at 1-833-808-1234, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time.

If you do not have prescription medication insurance coverage,6 or if your insurance does not cover Basaglar, you can expect to pay close to the list price shown above, plus any additional pharmacy charges depending on where you purchase your medicine.

For personalized assistance on the most affordable options for you, please call the Lilly Diabetes Solution Center at 1-833-808-1234, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time.

Want More Information?

For personalized assistance on the most affordable options for you, please call the Lilly Diabetes Solution Center at 1-833-808-1234, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time. Although we won’t replace the advice of your healthcare provider, we’ll do our best to find affordable options for you.

Need Another Option?

Lilly donates medicines to the Lilly Cares Foundation, a separate nonprofit organization that helps qualified people in need receive Lilly medicines at no cost. Learn more at www.lillycares.com or by calling Lilly Cares at 1-800-545-6962.

1List price, also referred to as wholesale acquisition cost or WAC, is the price at which Lilly sells its products to wholesalers and may not represent actual transactional prices patients pay at the pharmacy. WAC from AnalySource accessed on July 3, 2019. Reprinted with permission by First Databank, Inc. All rights reserved. ©2019. https://www.fdbhealth.com/policies/drug-pricing-policy/.

2Source: Based on internal analysis of IQVIA Longitudinal Access and Adjudication Data (LAAD) – Basaglar Patient OOP Cost per Script by Channel (April 2018 – March 2019). Accessed on July 26, 2019. Employer or Private Individual Policy Insurance reflects commercial savings card and other support. Medicare Part D Coverage reflects supplemental support.

3Social Security Administration (SSA). Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs. https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/prescriptionhelp/. Accessed on July 24, 2019.

4Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Announcement of Calendar Year (CY) 2019 Medicare Advantage Capitation Rates and Medicare Advantage and Part D Payment Policies and Final Call Letter. Attachment V Final 2019 Benefit Design Parameters. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Health-Plans/MedicareAdvtgSpecRateStats/Downloads/Announcement2019.pdf. Accessed on July 24, 2019.

5Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Medicaid and CHIP Overview for Assisters. Maximum Allowable Copayments Determined by Eligible Population’s Household Income. Updated August 2018. **All out-of-pocket charges are based on the specific state’s defined payment amount for that service. Certain groups, including children, terminally ill individuals, and individuals residing in an institution are exempt from cost sharing. Refer to your state agency for details about Medicaid out-of-pocket costs. https://marketplace.cms.gov/technical-assistance-resources/fast-facts-medicaid-chip.pdf. Accessed on July 24, 2019.

6Most people have some type of health insurance coverage that includes a prescription drug benefit. According to recent data, just under 9% of the total U.S. population is uninsured. (https://www.kff.org/state-category/health-coverage-uninsured/health-insurance-status/).

INDICATIONS AND IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION

BASAGLAR is a long-acting insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with type 1 diabetes and adults with type 2 diabetes.

BASAGLAR is not for treating diabetic ketoacidosis.

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION

Do not take BASAGLAR during episodes of low blood sugar or if you are allergic to insulin glargine or any of the ingredients in BASAGLAR.

Do NOT reuse needles or share insulin pens, even if the needle has been changed.

Before starting BASAGLAR, tell your doctor about all your medical conditions, including if you have liver or kidney problems, if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, or if you are breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed.

BASAGLAR should be taken once a day at the same time every day. Test your blood sugar levels while using insulin. Do not make any changes to your dose or type of insulin without talking to your healthcare provider. Any change of insulin should be made cautiously and only under medical supervision.

The most common side effect of insulin, including BASAGLAR, is low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), which may be serious and life threatening. Signs and symptoms may include dizziness or light-headedness, sweating, confusion, headache, blurred vision, slurred speech, shakiness, fast heartbeat, anxiety, irritability, mood change, or hunger.

Do NOT dilute or mix BASAGLAR with any other insulin or solution. It will not work as intended and you may lose blood sugar control, which could be serious. BASAGLAR must only be used if the solution is clear and colorless with no particles visible. Always make sure you have the correct insulin before each injection.

BASAGLAR may cause serious side effects that can lead to death, such as severe allergic reactions. Get emergency help if you have:

  • A rash over your whole body
  • Trouble breathing
  • A fast heartbeat
  • Sweating
  • Swelling of your face, tongue, or throat
  • Shortness of breath
  • Extreme drowsiness, dizziness, or confusion

Heart failure can occur if you are taking insulin together with medicines called TZDs (thiazolidinediones), even if you have never had heart failure or other heart problems. If you already have heart failure, it may get worse while you take TZDs with BASAGLAR. Your treatment with TZDs and BASAGLAR may need to be changed or stopped by your doctor if you have new or worsening heart failure. Tell your doctor if you have any new or worsening symptoms of heart failure, including:

  • Shortness of breath
  • Swelling of your ankles or feet
  • Sudden weight gain

Tell your doctor about all the medications you take, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.

While using BASAGLAR, do not drive or operate heavy machinery until you know how BASAGLAR affects you. Do not drink alcohol or use other medicines that contain alcohol.

Other possible side effects may include swelling, weight gain, low potassium, injection site reactions, including changes in fat tissue at the injection site, and allergic reactions. These are not all the possible side effects. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

The BASAGLAR KwikPen® is a disposable, prefilled insulin pen. Please talk to your healthcare provider about proper injection technique and follow instructions in the Instructions for Use that accompanies the pen. BASAGLAR is available by prescription only.